What is the Level I certification?
The Level I Certification is the first level of US Squash’s coach education program focusing on entry level players and fundamentals of the game.
Who is the course for?
This course is for anyone interested in the competencies required to introduce starter players to the game of squash. The level I course focuses on group instruction, with special attention paid to lesson organization, safety and general squash coaching knowledge. The course readies a coach for the instruction of the beginner and low-intermediate level.
What will I learn?
The coaches in our squash community are critical. For squash to grow and for players to stay in the game, they need to experience enjoyment and improvement. In this course you will experience and develop the qualities associated with a positive, motivating leader. As well, you will be trained to scale and modify the game your students can experience success with activities that challenge them with the right skills and play for their level. More specifically, you will learn to:
- Lead and communicate effectively
- Display professionalism
- Control the focus and attention of a group
- Present clear and correct visual demonstrations with concise explanations
- Provide positive intervention that apply tactical and technical tools to improve performance
- Manage play and practice environments
- Set up and maintain a group environment that is active, safe, and challenging while applying group organizational tools
- Organize play and apply competition tools using a variety of competitive formats, set-ups and scoring
Follow a process for making ethical decisions consistent with the US Squash Code of Ethics.
What are the course prerequisites?
- Minimum certification requirement: None
- Minimum age: 16 years
How will I be evaluated?
There are 4 (four) categories of competencies candidates must complete to achieve level I certification:
- Demonstration (Playing and Fundamental Skills)
In addition, candidates are required to complete the Coaching Essentials online ASEP course and show proof of an active CPR certification.
Candidates must achieve a minimum standard on all of the evaluations to be certified.
If candidates do not achieve a minimum standard on any evaluations, they must re-take that evaluation.
Candidates have 12 months from the date of their original course to complete all evaluations; otherwise, they must re-take the entire course at full price.
Who will lead the course?
The course will be led by a qualified US Squash coaching assessor.